Joe's Linux Blog Linux Admin tips and tricks

May 24, 2009

Qt4 RPMs for Centos 5

Filed under: Centos,Installation,qt — Tags: , — jfreivald @ 11:03 am

UPDATE; New post for the new packages: http://joseph.freivald.com/linux/2010/06/09/qt-4-6-3-and-qt-creator-1-3-1-1-updates-for-centos-5-5/

UPDATE: Nokia released Qt 4.6.0 and qt-creator 1.3.0 today.  The new RPMs are compiled and stored in the repository.  ‘yum update’ should be sufficient to grab the new ones.  I also changed the directory to reflect Centos 5.4 instead of 5.3.  Let me know of any issues.

–JATF

Want to get the Qt SDK working on Centos 5.3?

Quick instructions:

rpm -ivh http://software.freivald.com/centos/software.freivald.com-1.0.0-1.noarch.rpm
yum update fontconfig fontconfig-devel qt4 qt4-devel qt4-doc qt4-postgresql qt4-odbc qt4-sqlite qt-creator

Verify that the versions are coming from software.freivald.com and install. 🙂

Longer story:

All of the RPM’s described in this post are in a yum repository that you can access by installing this RPM.  It includes both x86_64 and i386 repositories that are automatically selected based on your architecture.

The first problem: the FcFreeTypeQueryFace problem that is very well described here, with a manual compile and upgrade way around it.  I thought I would go one step further and create an RPM.  Here is what I did:

I started with this source file from fontconfig.org and this SRPM from redhat.com, modified the spec file from the SRPM because of a changed config file location, and created these RPM files for you to install.

The second problem:  the QtSDK is built against several other libraries that are newer than provided with CentOS 5.3.  Rather than update those libraries, I’ve opted to compile RPMs for qt4 and qt-creator for CentOS 5.3. There are all new packages for them in the repository. They upgrade the shipped version (4.2.1) to the new version. They should be binary compatible, since theoretically Qt only breaks binary backwards compatibility on a major revision number change, but I don’t have any real way to test this. Feel free to post any problems you encounter.

The third problem: qt-creator isn’t included with the qt4 source.  I created it as its own package.  ‘yum install qt-creator’ to install it by itself.

Hopefully after installing the repository package, a

yum update

and everything should ‘just work’.

Oh, and feel free to use the ‘joewidgets’ and ‘joewidgets-devel’ packages.  They include some widgets that I use for other projects, primarily a back-port of the KLed widget to QLed that removed KDE dependancies, and a multi-state button with configurable colors for each state.  The ‘devel’ package includes designer plugins that also work in qt-creator.  Source for those are published in the srpms directory.

–JATF

12 Comments »

1. Very nice works great for me on x86_64.

Thanks,

Joe

Comment by Joe — June 16, 2009 @ 8:03 pm

2. You’re welcome. I noticed that there is a problem with the help section in qtcreator. It lists the docs as installed, but doesn’t pull them up. If anyone can tell me where the configuration problem is I’ll fix it. Otherwise I’ll chase it down in a few weeks when things settle down a bit at work. Meanwhile you’ll have to use your browser to look at the html files.

Comment by admin — June 16, 2009 @ 11:29 pm

3. Thanx a lot! Is it possible to get the rpm for qt 4.3 or higher?

Comment by Cor — June 26, 2009 @ 4:18 pm

4. The RPM’s are for version 4.5.1, so it is higher than 4.3. 🙂

Comment by admin — June 26, 2009 @ 10:46 pm

5. Thanks, I was looking for more up-to-date qt4 packages for months 🙂

Comment by Phil — August 2, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

6. You are welcome. Let me know how it works for you and which packages you are using.

Comment by admin — August 2, 2009 @ 7:33 pm

7. Hi,

Thanks for this – just what I was looking for as MythTV now requires QT >= 4.4.

Do you have any plans to update the packages, or do you expect them to stay pretty static?

Regards,
    Nige.

Comment by nigel_jewell — November 10, 2009 @ 3:16 pm

8. You are welcome. Thank you for the feedback.

This version is 4.5, so it is >= 4.4, however it is not the latest ‘bug fix’ version (4.5.3 as of this posting). I plan to keep this repository current as Nokia releases new versions and to provide updates for later versions of Centos, but I have been overwhelmed at work lately and have not had time. I also hope to provide the 4.6 beta packages in a ‘testing’ section. I will post a new item on the main blog page when updates are made to the repository, so be sure to use the RSS feature or check back periodically.

Comment by admin — November 10, 2009 @ 4:47 pm

9. Hi,

Thanks for the 4.6 build.

However, I’m finding the qt4-4.6.0 build has header issues in MythTV with QtWebKit. Has anyone else found this?

Regards,
    Nige.

Comment by nigel_jewell — December 21, 2009 @ 1:59 pm

10. Can you post the header issue and the configuration you are using? Maybe it’s something I can fix.

Comment by admin — December 22, 2009 @ 12:10 pm

11. really nice image. works as a charm. i am wondering how to resize the image to my cf. My card is 8GB and it uses only the 2GB.

Comment by john — March 4, 2014 @ 11:53 pm

12. Hey John,

On the Alix post (http://joseph.freivald.com/linux/2010/04/22/alix-centos-image/), comment 22, I give instructions on a few ways to grow the system to a larger image.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — March 5, 2014 @ 6:29 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.