Joe's Linux Blog Linux Admin tips and tricks

October 4, 2010

Qt4 4.7.0 and qt-creator 2 for Centos and RHEL 5.5

Filed under: Centos,qt,Tools — jfreivald @ 7:53 pm

I’ve updated the x86_64 and i386 repositories to Qt 4.7.0 and qt-creator 2.0.1.

UPDATE [6 OCT, 11:34]: This morning I finally added Yum groups to the repository, so all you have to do for the base library is (as root):
yum groupinstall Qt4
and for the development environment:
yum groupinstall Qt4-Devel
The mysql and postgresql packages do not install by default because they pull a bunch of extra libraries if you don’t have the databases already installed, so you might also want to include:
yum install qt4-postgresql qt4-mysql

If you are doing any application debugging you may want to install qt4-debuginfo as well:
yum install --enablerepo software.freivald.com-debuginfo qt4-debuginfo

NOTE: I’ve changed the 32 bit packages to be optimized for i686, which might register conflicts against the old i386 packages. If that happens, uninstall the conflicting i386 packages using ‘rpm -e –nodeps ‘, which will keep dependencies from preventing the uninstall. Then install the new packages as normal.

If this causes too much headache then I can create a separate repository for each. Let me know.

These packges were created on Centos 5.5 but should be completely compatible with RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.5.

–JATF

20 Comments »

1. Hi, I came across a small problem. When trying to install Qt-devel on an i386 machine, I get the error message

Package fontconfig-devel-2.5.93-7.i386.rpm is not signed

I bypassed it by setting gpgcheck=0 in the repo configuration, then it installed without a glitch. But if you require packages to be signed, then it won’t work.

Thanks a lot for the packages! I was looking for a more modern version of Qt for CentOS, and was about to compile it myself. This saved me a lot of work!

Comment by pvn — October 13, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

2. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll check on it and reply here when I’m done.

Comment by jfreivald — October 13, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

3. @pvn

Okay, I checked on all the signatures, and they all look good to me. There were some older packages (qt4*4.6.2-0.el5.i386.* and qt-creator*1.3.1-0.el5.i386.*) that didn’t have signatures and I updated them, just in case someone wants that specific version, but the fontconfig appears to have the correct signature.

I don’t know what to tell you about that.

Comment by jfreivald — October 15, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

4. Hello. I installed these groups (Qt4 and Qt4-devel), but there is no qmake.

# yum list | egrep ‘^qt4?.*installed’ | awk ‘{print $1, ” — “, $2}’
    qt-creator.i686 — 2.0.1-0
    qt4.i686 — 4.7.0-0
    qt4-devel.i686 — 4.7.0-0
    qt4-doc.i686 — 4.7.0-0
    qt4-odbc.i686 — 4.7.0-0
    qt4-sqlite.i686 — 4.7.0-0

Am i doing something wrong?

Comment by werehuman — October 14, 2010 @ 12:40 am

5. Sorry for the trouble, i already found it at /usr/lib/qt4/bin. I think it better to add this directory to $PATH (in /etc/profile.d for example) after installation.

Comment by werehuman — October 14, 2010 @ 12:48 am

6. Werehuman,

I deliberately don’t mess with peoples paths for a couple reasons. First and foremost, the Qt packages that come with RHEL/Centos don’t modify the path and I don’t want to deviate from what the up-lines do. Second, RHEL and Centos are Qt3-based, and putting this one in thee path would preempt those tools, which would require extensive regression testing to ensure it didn’t break any other packages.

Let me know how it works for you because I don’t run the i386 version every day like I do the 64 bit.

Cheers.

Comment by jfreivald — October 14, 2010 @ 4:47 am

7. I added this directory to my $PATH and it works fine. However, i haven’t any other Qt, my machine is a server for a Qt-based program (without GUI).

Comment by werehuman — October 15, 2010 @ 8:56 am

8. @werehuman

Yep. That’s what I do as well, and we use a *lot* of Qt4 in our office, but “what I do” is a far cry from regression testing and since the up-line’s don’t modify the system’s path automatically, then I shouldn’t either. I’m not certain how changing the default Qt version at a system level would affect each and every package that someone might want to put on their system. I don’t even have 1/4 of the available packages installed, so there is no way for me to test it.

It’s easy enough for sysadmins to configure their system how they want, and if they have problems, to check them against the stock Qt4 packages and see if it is one I introduced or one that is inherent with running Qt4 on a Qt3 system.

Comment by jfreivald — October 15, 2010 @ 2:02 pm

9. Hi. Sorry for not answering before, I’ve been doing other stuff lately.

W.r.t. the signatures, I can reproduce it as follows:

wget http://software.freivald.com/centos/5/i386/os/fontconfig-devel-2.5.93-7.i386.rpm
    rpm -qip fontconfig-devel-2.5.93-7.i386.rpm

And this is the result:

Name : fontconfig-devel Relocations: (not relocatable)
    Version : 2.5.93 Vendor: (none)
    Release : 7 Build Date: Sun May 24 19:29:21 2009
    Install Date: (not installed) Build Host: localhost.localdomain
    Group : Development/Libraries Source RPM: fontconfig-2.5.93-7.src.rpm
    Size : 756073 License: MIT
    Signature : (none)
    URL : http://fontconfig.org
    Summary : Font configuration and customization library
    Description :
    The fontconfig-devel package includes the header files,
    and developer docs for the fontconfig package.

Install fontconfig-devel if you want to develop programs which
    will use fontconfig.

… the “Signature: (none)” field would be in agreement with the complain I got from yum. I don’t know if I’m pulling the RPM from the wrong repo.

(As I said, it does not matter much for me anyway, since disabling gpgcheck was enough to let it install)

Comment by pvn — October 21, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

10. @pvn: Yep. RPM doesn’t lie (usually). I’ll check again. I appreciate your feedback.

Comment by jfreivald — October 21, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

11. @pvn:

I don’t know what I was looking at before, but there were a bunch of unsigned packages.

I’ve added signatures to all of them. They are in process of being pushed back to the server now. Should be done in about 20 minutes or so.

Thanks again for keeping me honest!

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — October 22, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

12. Hi! I just wanted to check, but is there a problem with the check-sum on the fontconfig-packages? I’ve installed your repo tonight, and tried to install qt, wich needs fontconfig from your repo as well, but i get:

Downloading Packages:
    (1/2): fontconfig-2.5.93-7.i386.rpm | 183 kB 00:01
    http://software.freivald.com/centos/5/x86_64/os/fontconfig-2.5.93-7.i386.rpm: [Errno -1] Package does not match intended download
    Trying other mirror.
    (2/2): fontconfig-2.5.93-7.x86_64.rpm | 183 kB 00:00
    http://software.freivald.com/centos/5/x86_64/os/fontconfig-2.5.93-7.x86_64.rpm: [Errno -1] Package does not match intended download
    Trying other mirror.

Error Downloading Packages:
    fontconfig-2.5.93-7.x86_64: failure: fontconfig-2.5.93-7.x86_64.rpm from software.freivald.com: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
    fontconfig-2.5.93-7.i386: failure: fontconfig-2.5.93-7.i386.rpm from software.freivald.com: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

I’ve tried to get past this, by downloading the packages manually, and placing them in /var/cache/yum/…, and the running with -C, but then i get:

Error Downloading Packages:
    fontconfig-2.5.93-7.x86_64: Caching enabled but no local cache of /var/cache/yum/software.freivald.com/packages/fontconfig-2.5.93-7.x86_64.rpm from software.freivald.com
    fontconfig-2.5.93-7.i386: Caching enabled but no local cache of /var/cache/yum/software.freivald.com/packages/fontconfig-2.5.93-7.i386.rpm from software.freivald.com

Is this a problem on my end, or is it something with the packages?

Thank you for the hard work you’re putting into this!

Comment by kalasmannen — October 22, 2010 @ 3:21 pm

13. @kalasmannen:

Oops! Forgot to update the yum repository when I pushed the new sigs earlier today. Sorry for the inconvenience. Should be all better now.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — October 22, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

14. Wow, that was really quick! Works like a clock now. Thanks!

Comment by kalasmannen — October 23, 2010 @ 12:42 am

15. @kalasmannen: Just happened to be at my pc. Happy to help.

Comment by jfreivald — October 23, 2010 @ 7:35 am

16. Hi. I tried updating from my own qt4-4.4.3 packages to your 4.7.0 binary packages and yum complained because there wasn’t an updated qt4-x11.

Comment by Bob — October 28, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

17. @Bob

Need a bit more information about your system (distro, platform, version, active repositories, etc.) to provide you with detailed help, but here’s a swag:

The qt4-x11 packages were built from the old trolltech source, not the new nokia SDK. I suggest uninstalling the old packages (with –nodeps if it would pull a bunch of other packages with it) and then install the new.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — October 28, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

18. @Bob

I noticed after posting my reply that you said, “updating from my own qt4-4.4.3 packages”. Your packages are based on the older trolltech sources, or at the very least the old package structure (I think, based on Fedora 8 – I can’t remember).

You’ll have to uninstall them and upgrade to the new package scheme to use this repository.

Try:
    rpm -qa | grep qt4

to determine what qt4 packages are currently installed, then do a

rpm -e --nodeps {package list from first step}

That should remove the packages without mucking about too much on your system. Then you should be able to install as per the main post.

Let me know how it turns out.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — October 28, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

19. @JATF: Worked out fine. Thanks.

Bob T.

Comment by Bob — October 28, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

20. @bob

Cool.

Comment by jfreivald — October 28, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.