Joe's Linux Blog Linux Admin tips and tricks

October 30, 2011

Qt 4.7.4 for RHEL/Centos 6.0 pre-release

Filed under: Uncategorized — jfreivald @ 11:03 pm

Update Nov 14 2011: I’ve uploaded 32-bit packages for testing as well.  Please have at it and let me know what the issues are.  The repository file is the same for all versions.  Qt-Creator packages are building for both architectures overnight, so if all goes well I will upload them in the morning.

2nd Update Nov 14th 2011: Having problems compiling qt-creator.  Hopefully today, maybe tomorrow.

I’ve finished the first compile of Qt 4.7.4 packages for RHEL/Centos 6.0.  There are several things to consider before using these packages.

Unlike RHEL/Centos 5, Qt 4 is a primary system package upon which rests a host of system applications, most notably KDE.  For this first round of packages, I took the system package spec file and updated it with the 4.7.4 sources.  There are quite a few patches in the system sources, and I kept all of them that didn’t cause a portion of the build process to break.  Anything that broke the process was simply commented out, which is a lazy way of doing things.  In actuality, each one should be analyzed and re-patched to the new source if necessary.  Time constraints dictate that I’m a bit lazy on this for now, so these packages should be rigorously tested before pushed to a production system.  Also, the new system packages use an Epoch, which means that the version numbers are meaningless in terms of which packages Yum will install.  To get around this, I bumped the Epoch from 1 to 1000, and I’ll continue to increment it as I push new packages.  This should provide that the freivald.com packages are always selected over other repositories.

I plan to push these to a fresh VM in a day or two and, if all goes well, build and push Qt-Creator.

Feel free to test these packages, but be aware that they are for test purposes only at this point.  Please provide feedback on the success or failure of your testing.

The repository file (which is the same as the v5 file) is located here.

Cheers.

–JATF

14 Comments »

1. Sorry, I’m a real Linux newbie 🙁
    I am looking to run Qt 4.7 application on Centos 6 server. Managed to install Qt 4.6 but discovered i need 4.7. This is where I am now 🙂 How to try out Your work Joseph? I probably need to remove old 4.6 libs first? Sorry again for stupid questions.

Comment by krizajb — November 3, 2011 @ 5:09 am

2. @krizajb

Welcome. I am glad you could join us. I maintain this site specifically for people like you, who would have a very hard time getting Qt to work without rpm packages.

To use these packages, you only need to install the repository file. If you click on the link in the above post, it should download and launch with the installer. If it does not, then download the file and as root, type “rpm -ivh “. Once that package is installed, my repository is available to your computer. As root, type ‘yum upgrade qt*’ and it will download the files and install them.

Please be sure to completely test the system after installation as I have not had the time to fully test these packages yet, and as I said in the post, the patching that I used was not optimal.

Let me know how it turns out.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — November 3, 2011 @ 8:19 am

3. Hello!
    Here is my output:

[root@obi ~]# rpm -ivh http://software.freivald.com/el/6/x86_64/os/software.freivald.com-2.0.0-0.el.noarch.rpm
    Retrieving http://software.freivald.com/el/6/x86_64/os/software.freivald.com-2.0.0-0.el.noarch.rpm
    warning: /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.Y2AveC: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 678f6fca: NOKEY
    Preparing… ########################################### [100%]
    1:software.freivald.com ########################################### [100%]
    [root@obi ~]# yum upgrade qt
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    base | 3.7 kB 00:00
    base/primary_db | 3.3 MB 00:00
    extras | 3.0 kB 00:00
    extras/primary_db | 1.9 kB 00:00
    http://software.freivald.com/el/6/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 : http://software.freivald.com/el/6/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
    Trying other mirror.
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: software.freivald.com. Please verify its path and try again

Comment by krizajb — November 4, 2011 @ 7:34 am

4. @krizajb

Ah! You are on an i386 machine and I have not compiled for that architecture yet. I only have x86_64 packages uploaded so far.

I will do it this weekend so that you may try it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment by jfreivald — November 4, 2011 @ 9:45 am

5. Great! Will wait for it, take your time. At the moment i am using 4.7.2 as temporary solution.

Comment by krizajb — November 8, 2011 @ 2:48 am

6. @krizajb

Sorry for the delay. They 32-bit packages are built and uploaded. Please give them a try and see how they work for you.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — November 14, 2011 @ 1:02 am

7. My testing machine crashed so I had to re-install it and had the chance to test your i386 rpm.
    Here is log of setup, further testing feedback will probably follow if anything goes wrong.

Comment by krizajb — March 5, 2012 @ 6:26 am

8. @krizajb

Thank you. I’ll review the logs.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — March 24, 2012 @ 10:38 am

9. Hi, I was wondering what’s happened to the qt-creator package…?! 🙂 I can install all the other package on CentOS 6 x68_64, and it appears in the repository – but it’s not on the webserver…
    Can you help?
    Cheers,
    Chris

Comment by justme — March 15, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

10. @justme

I’m aware the repository is a mess. I will fix it soon. I just moved 1200 miles and go in for a minor operation tomorrow, so it wont be for a week or two, but it is on my radar.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — March 15, 2012 @ 8:40 pm

11. Hi, while I had (almost) no trouble installing on CentOS 5.5 i386, now I can’t do that under CentOS x86_64:

[root@machine ~]# rpm -ivh –httpproxy 10.1.1.24 –httpport 80 http://software.freivald.com/centos/software.freivald.com-1.0.0-1.noarch.rpm
    Retrieving http://software.freivald.com/centos/software.freivald.com-1.0.0-1.noarch.rpm
    warning: /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.pBbPXx: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 678f6fca
    Preparing… ########################################### [100%]
    1:software.freivald.com ########################################### [100%]
    [root@machine ~]# yum install qt4
    http://software.freivald.com/centos/5Server/x86_64/os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    Trying other mirror.

…any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks for the excellent packages!

Comment by friendfx — November 3, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

12. Oh, forgot to mention: Also tried with the new http://software.freivald.com/centos/software.freivald.com-2.0.0-0.el.noarch.rpm, same error. Seems like it should be centos/5/x86_64 instead of centos/5Server/x86_64?

Comment by friendfx — November 3, 2013 @ 7:06 pm

13. I will have a look. All of the file pointers were fine before so I’ll have to figure out what changed.

FYI: I have compiled the 5.1.1 packages for Centos 6.4. The help files aren’t showing up right, so I have some tweaking to do, but it all works. I hope to upload them soon.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — November 4, 2013 @ 7:42 am

14. Thanks for looking into this. Have you found out if the file pointers are ok in the package? Since I’m quite new to all of this, I am not sure if it could be a problem at my end?

Comment by friendfx — November 10, 2013 @ 6:24 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.