Joe's Linux Blog Linux Admin tips and tricks

June 9, 2010

Qt 4.6.3 and qt-creator 1.3.1-1 updates for Centos 5.5

Filed under: Centos,Configuration,qt — Tags: , , , , — jfreivald @ 9:49 am

I’ve built the Qt 4.6.3 packages for Centos 5.5.

To install, as root, type:

rpm -ivh http://software.freivald.com/centos/software.freivald.com-1.0.0-1.noarch.rpm

Also, I’ve updated the qt-creator package to 1.3.1-1.  The issue with the package was that on the 64-bit environment, qt-creator continues to look into /usr/lib/qtcreator for it’s plugins instead of /usr/lib64/qtcreator.  I added a link from /usr/lib/qtcreator to /usr/lib64/qtcreator in the x86_64 arch build.  This means that you should not install the 32-bit version and the 64 bit version on the same machine – but I’m not sure that was ever a good idea in the first place. 🙂

Please post here if you have any issues with the Qt 4.6.3 build or the qtcreator 1.3.1-1.

I’ve also posted the public key that I use to sign the packages here.  To use it, as root, type:

rpm --import http://software.freivald.com/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-software.freivald.com

NOTE: If you use yum-priorities you will need to set this repository to the same level as ‘core’ for these to install properly.  You’ll know if you have a priorities issue because ‘yum install qt-creator’ will scream at you that you are missing libaries.  These libraries come in the version that I compile but not in the Centos core distribution and if the priorities are wrong it will pull those packages from core.

Cheers.

17 Comments »

1. Hi there, I am getting the following dependency errors, relating to fontconfig when trying to install the packages you mention. Did you get anything like this?

[root@vmfdedev ~]# yum update fontconfig fontconfig-devel qt4 qt4-devel qt4-doc qt4-postgresql qt4-odbc qt4-sqlite qt-creator
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    * addons: mirror.ukhost4u.com
    * base: mirror.ukhost4u.com
    * epel: mirror01.th.ifl.net
    * extras: mirror.ukhost4u.com
    * rpmforge: apt.sw.be
    * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror01.th.ifl.net
    * rpmfusion-free-updates-testing: mirror01.th.ifl.net
    * updates: mirror.ukhost4u.com
    software.freivald.com | 951 B 00:00
    software.freivald.com/primary | 18 kB 00:00
    software.freivald.com 63/63
    Setting up Update Process
    Package(s) qt4 available, but not installed.
    Package(s) qt4-devel available, but not installed.
    Package(s) qt4-doc available, but not installed.
    Package(s) qt4-postgresql available, but not installed.
    Package(s) qt4-odbc available, but not installed.
    Package(s) qt4-sqlite available, but not installed.
    Package(s) qt-creator available, but not installed.
    Resolving Dependencies
    –> Running transaction check
    –> Processing Dependency: fontconfig = 2.4.1 for package: fontconfig-devel
    –> Processing Dependency: fontconfig = 2.4.1 for package: fontconfig-devel
    —> Package fontconfig.i386 0:2.5.93-7 set to be updated
    —> Package fontconfig.x86_64 0:2.5.93-7 set to be updated
    —> Package fontconfig-devel.x86_64 0:2.5.93-7 set to be updated
    –> Finished Dependency Resolution
    fontconfig-devel-2.4.1-7.el5.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
    –> Missing Dependency: fontconfig = 2.4.1 is needed by package fontconfig-devel-2.4.1-7.el5.i386 (installed)
    fontconfig-devel-2.4.1-7.el5.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
    Error: Missing Dependency: fontconfig = 2.4.1 is needed by package fontconfig-devel-2.4.1-7.el5.i386 (installed)
    You could try using –skip-broken to work around the problem
    You could try running: package-cleanup –problems
    package-cleanup –dupes
    rpm -Va –nofiles –nodigest
    The program package-cleanup is found in the yum-utils package.

Comment by trojanfoe — September 3, 2010 @ 12:46 am

2. This problem has not been reported before. It looks like you have the .i386 devel package for fontconfig, and in my repository it is an x86_64 package. Try removing your fontconfig-devel and then upgrading, and then installing fontconfig-devel. If you have a lot of deps for fontconfig-devel then you can try rpm -e –dbonly –nodeps, followed by the upgrade and then the re-install of the -devel package.

I’ll check the -devel package structure and see if I need to add the i386 devel packages to the x86_64 repository. It just be matter of housekeeping since -devel packages are mostly just headers. I have it as an x86_64 because on my 64-bit machines I have removed all 32-bit packages and have “exclude=*.i386 *.i486 *.i586 *.i686” in my /etc/yum.conf.

Comment by jfreivald — September 3, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

3. thx for providing this, i had a problem running creator because binaries from official site depend on glibc 6.0.9(3.4.9), cheers

Comment by ngtv — September 24, 2010 @ 12:55 am

4. Glad you like it. I hope to be compiling 4.7 and qtcreator 2.x next week. Look for it under a new post.

Feel free to grouse if you find a problem. It is impossible to damage my ego. ;D

Comment by jfreivald — September 24, 2010 @ 7:45 am

5. Was glad to find recent Qt RPMs here!

A couple of questions:

1. I believe the license changed at some point after the RHEL 5 Qt 4.2.1 from “License: GPL/QPL” to something slightly more permissive. RHEL6(beta) .spec file says:

# See LGPL_EXCEPTIONS.txt, LICENSE.GPL3, respectively, for exception details
    License: (LGPLv2 with exceptions or GPLv3 with exceptions) and ASL 2.0 and BSD and FLT and MIT

2. My real interest is having an up-to-date PyQt4 RPM set–do you have any plans to package or provide this? I used the RHEL6(beta) .src.rpm and made very few modifications to get it to build.

thanks!

Comment by gbailey — October 4, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

6. I haven’t looked at PyQt, but if you have a working srpm I would be happy to check it out and include it in the repository.

Many hands make light work. 🙂

As for the sources, I always download the LGPL source. If I haven’t changed the .spec file to reflect that then it’s my bad and I apologize to Nokia. I’ll check when I get back to the house.

Cheers.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — October 4, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

7. When doing yum update, the message said: no message marked for update. Then I just did install by doing

yum install fontconfig fontconfig-devel qt4 qt4-devel qt4-doc qt4-postgresql qt4-odbc qt4-sqlite qt-creator

I have following messages:
    Dependencies Resolved

================================================================================
    Package Arch Version Repository Size

Upgrade 0 Package(s)

Total size: 202 M
    Total download size: 153 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    qt4-doc-4.7.0-0.i686.rpm | 153 MB 02:44
    http://software.freivald.com/centos/5/i386/os/qt4-doc-4.7.0-0.i686.rpm: [Errno -1] Package does not match intended download
    Trying other mirror.

Error Downloading Packages:
    qt4-doc-4.7.0-0.i686: failure: qt4-doc-4.7.0-0.i686.rpm from software.freivald.com: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Please advice. Thanks

Comment by nina802 — December 17, 2010 @ 11:02 am

8. @nina802

I’ll check it when I get home. Don’t know why the package would be out of synch. I haven’t changed it in quite a while. I’ll verify all the packages and then resynch the repository.

Comment by jfreivald — December 17, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

9. @nina802:

I reset the repository files. Feel free to try again.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — December 18, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

10. On my centos, I just skipped the part to install qt4-doc.
    I saw qt-creator when I did rpm -qa, however, I don’t see qt creator on my application menu. I see qt designer, qt config, and qt linguist though. Do I miss something here? Thanks.

Comment by nina802 — December 17, 2010 @ 11:40 am

11. Open a terminal and type ‘qtcreator’ to see if it is installed. I’ll have to check on an app launcher, since I always run from the command line. I’ll try to got to it when I get back to the house.

Comment by jfreivald — December 17, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

12. @nina802:

The qt-creator package does not come with an application launcher. I’ll make a custom one and include it in the next package. In the mean time you can either run it from a terminal or create an application shortcut to /usr/bin/qtcreator.

Cheers.

–JATF

Comment by jfreivald — December 18, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

13. Thanks JATF, I now just run it from terminal. Now, I can run, but I can’t debug, the message is Unable to starg gdb ‘gdb’: No such file or directory. Should I install just regular gdb, or I need to get a “special” gdb that is just used for QT. If so, where/how should I get it?

Regards,

Comment by nina802 — December 20, 2010 @ 10:49 am

14. There are still problems with qt4-devel and qt4-doc. The messages are: “Package does not match intended download.”

Comment by nina802 — December 20, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

15. Hy Joe!

First thanks to have done this RPMs you’re doing a great service to the Cent OS users 🙂

But I’ve a problem, my Qt WebKit based application requires libphonon, it should part of Qt or its 3rd party?
    There’s a Cent OS 5.4/5.5 RPM containing it?

If is an optional part of Qt could you add, this?

Thanks,
    fano

Comment by fano — January 31, 2012 @ 1:22 am

16. @fano

Thanks for the feedback.

I noticed a similar problem when trying to adapt to the new packaging with Centos 6, which unlike C5 relies heavily on the Qt4 packages. I have some preliminary packages for 6 that include the updated libphonon that comes with the Qt toolkit, but I have not back-ported it to 5. I’m in the middle of moving 1200 miles (the truck is packed and leaves today) so it’s unlikely that I’ll get to it in the next 3-4 weeks, but I do plan to get back to it when I get settled on the other end, both to finish testing the C6 packages, and to backport the updated phonon to the C5 package structure.

Cheers.

Comment by jfreivald — January 31, 2012 @ 5:55 am

17. If you could do this, you do me (and hope others, too) a favor!

There’s no simple way to install libphonon in the old & unsupported CentOs 5.4/REL 5.4…

Bon Voyage and good backport 🙂

Comment by fano — January 31, 2012 @ 7:58 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.